Lisa Tilley Hinkle has been a horse lover since she could say the word “horse.” As a child and teen, she took any and all opportunities to be around horses, finally achieving the dream of her own horse as a young adult. Though innately skeptical, it was working with a variety of horses with myriad issues, as well as large- and small-animal rescues, that drew Lisa to an appreciation of how alternative/supportive therapies like massage could be an integral part of an overall management program for most, if not all, horses.
She worked for over 15 years as a journalist and in niche publishing, focusing on such areas as energy production, environmental issues, pharmaceutical regulation, consumer product safety and defense industry regulation. This work, along with her science-heavy education, has helped Lisa develop a keen understanding of how physical systems work together, enhancing her ability to develop an individualized, highly effective massage routine for each horse she works on. She continues working as a freelance writer and editor for select clients. Lisa also gives riding lessons to a small roster of clients; many of her students are also massage clients.
When not working, Lisa spends time with her own horses: Ensoleille (“Sally”), a TB/Trakehner mare who mostly helps Lisa study dressage, with some jumping and trails on the side, and Strike My Fancy (“Fannie”), a Paint/TWH mare still in work as a low-level dressage, trail and lesson horse. A third horse, a BLM mustang gelding known as “Jiggs,” now resides with a friend and client where he is a wonderful trail and all-round family horse.
When not engaged in horsey activities or never-ending farm maintenance tasks, Lisa spends time in her vegetable, herb and flower gardens, and in continuing her studies in massage, acupressure and Reiki, and other modalities that can help her clients feel and perform their best.
- Photonic therapy study: 2011-2012
- School of Equine Massage/Muscle Therapy, Camden, SC: Certification 2009; assistant instructor 2010-present
- Tallgrass Animal Acupressure Institute, Larkspur, CO: Introductory Equine Acupressure 2009
- Alternative Health, Reston, VA: Level 1 Reiki 2005; Introductory Acupressure 2006; Reiki Externship 2006
- Linda Tellington Jones TTouch: Seminars 2001, 2002 and 2003; 50 hours total education
- Radford University, Radford, VA: B.S. Journalism/Biology minor 1989